Tuesday, April 1, 2008

take.me.away

I had a "how the hell did I get here" moment on Sunday night. It's not that I don't think about what my life has become, but sometimes I just have this moment of realization that my life has become something so foreign to me. And I don't mean in a bad way. I just never saw myself having the life I have now. Never - at least not at this age. On Sunday it hit me as I was wandering around the kitchen. I had Stella on my hip and Bickley in the other room watching cartoons. And I was attempting to juggle a wiggly baby not content perched on my hip while moving things in and out of the microwave for Bickley's dinner - all the while trying not to burn me or the baby. And I had it again later that night while I was laying on the couch trying to lull Stella to sleep (because she's having trouble doing it on her own) only to have a squeeling 6-year-old burst into the room laughing at something she'd seen on Cartoon Network and totally thwarting all of my efforts. I'm a mom to one and a stepmom to another and I had to step back and take a good, hard look at myself - and laugh. And then, of course, it was back to reality - and lulling Stella.

No comments: